Winter weather is looming on the South Plains. That means it’s time to prepare yourself for the hazardous road conditions that lie ahead.
At Collision King Auto Body Repair Center in Lubbock, we see the results of careless winter driving every year. Most collisions are avoidable if you plan ahead for winter driving and stay alert during icy, snowy weather. Here are a few tips to keep you – and your car – safe this winter:
• Winterize your car before the cold weather hits. This includes more than radiator service and antifreeze. Have your mechanic check your belts, hoses, and fluids – especially your windshield wiper fluid. Check or replace your wiper blades if they are worn, and make sure the wipers operate properly. Many winter collisions occur due to poor visibility.
• Check your tire pressure and quality and consider replacing your tires before the ice and snow arrive. Consider investing in quality snow tires or tire chains.
• Drive slowly in icy conditions, and allow extra time to accelerate, decelerate, and turn. Remember: speed limits apply to dry conditions only. Allow extra travel time wherever you go.
• In traffic, increase your following distance from the normal 3 seconds to 8 – or even 10 — seconds. This will give you more time to stop slowly if an accident occurs in front of you.
• Avoid stopping if you can. If you can slow down enough to keep rolling until a traffic light changes, you should do so.
• Always keep your gas tank at least half full. You might need the fuel to run your engine and heater if you become stranded or snowbound. You can run your engine 10 minutes per hour if necessary to stay warm and conserve fuel.
• Keep a winter emergency kit packed in your vehicle at all times. This should include an ice scraper, snow shovel, and sand/salt.
• If you must travel long distances during the winter, be sure to pack plenty of blankets, jackets, gloves, caps, water and food to see you through an extended waiting period if you become stranded.
Collision King Auto Body Repair in Lubbock wants you to be safe during the winter months. But we know from experience that winter conditions bring an inevitable increase in single- and multiple-car collisions. If this happens to you this winter – and you need a Lubbock body shop you can trust, call us at 806-794-5990 for your Lubbock collision repair needs.